Sunday, June 26, 2011

Individual Solutions to Corporate Problems

Individual Solutions to Corporate Problems

It was a beautiful day, not too hot. Melissa and I were pausing in the shade for few minutes, after working in the yard. About that time we notice a man walking from house to house. He approached us. He told us about some crimes in the neighborhood. He could give us a sense of security by selling us a “security system” for the house. First off, to sell us a sense of security he needed to cause us to feel insecure. Secondly, if there is a problem of crime in the neighborhood, perhaps what is needed is a larger solution than simply protecting my own little spot. What about my neighbors?


We have become all too comfortable with individual solutions to corporate problems. When we rely on individual solutions, like installing a personal alarm system, then we retreat from our neighbors and we create a climate for the problem to actually grow. We become more insecure. Taking care of my own little corner of the world creates a little more fragmentation in the community which adds to the growing insecurities that breed crime and other problems.

The same is true in the church. We don’t like the way a particular program is going, so we simply withdraw from it. An individual “solution” to a corporate problem. Paul uses the image of the body to describe the church. In his illustration it becomes clear that for a body to be healthy the various parts need to work together. No one part is more important than any other. All are equally important, even if they have very different functions.

So, how do we work toward corporate responses rather than individual responses? First, let us recognize that every single one of us are both leaders and followers. Yes, there are times we each lead: by example, my moral attitude, by organizational structure, by personal knowledge and ability. And we all follow where someone else is leading. It is not, “Am I a follower or a leader?” But rather: “In what ways do I follow and in what capacity do I lead?”

Secondly, we need to sharpen our focus. The central message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to demonstrate compassion and concern for other people. It is not how do I protect my own interests, but how do I enhance the lives of the people around me. If I am going to take the life of Jesus seriously, then I am compelled to look past my own comfort and advantage to consider the comfort of “the least of these,” as Jesus describes those in need (Matthew 25: 40, 45).

If we practice this with each other in the church then we are better able to sincerely share this good news in our neighborhoods and throughout our nation. So, in what ways can you be a leader? And, how do you decide whom you will follow? How can we work together to enhance the health of the “body” of of our congregation?

With grace and Peace,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment